Zine Archive Project Latest: Cool zines we’ve stumbled across!
Every time I go to work on cataloging I inevitably find some new exciting (to me) zines. Today was no exception while I was cataloging Perzines. I want to share some:
- Breakfast #22. This zine was written by a 13 year old girl, Athena, in the Philippines in 1999, and she explains that this is the 39th zine she’s written. Fucking impressive. She is remarkably perceptive, really into Riot Grrrl, and lists among her favorite bands: 7 Year Bitch, The Butchies, Crass, Spitboy, and the Indigo Girls. I am dying to find out what she’s up to now, 12 years later…
-Another Day.. Another Fight. Some traveler/ squatter kids found a great abandoned college kid house in Portland to stay in one summer in 2003 and found a bunch of journals/ letters between the former inhabitants, which they then compiled into this zine. Like a punker, more involved Found magazine. Aptly, in my opinion, filed in the Squatting section.
-Persiflage #4. “The Journal of Spectacularism”– Goth zine alert! Compilation of whimsical Goth things, my favorite being a poem/ song entitled “Bad Luck Makes a Fat Graveyard” by Tony Vaguely. Here is an excerpt:
“If you get a chill up your spine,
then someone has just walked over the spot you’ll be buried at.
If three persons who have the same first name happen to come
together, you can be sure that one of them is a fool.
The baby who doesn’t fall down the stairs before it is a year old,
will grow up to be a fool.
If the back of your legs itch, then you are an idiot.
If your nose itches, it means you’re a liar.
Something bad is bound to happen!
Boogedy, boogedy, boogedy.”
Maybe this could be the Long Haul pledge?
Anyway, the point is that there is some cool shit in this archive and if you want to come help catalog/ organize them, you get to hang out with them all you want!
See the Long Haul Zine Archive Project link at the menu at the top of this page for more information.
- Cool Zines in the Archive, Part 2!
- Zine Archive Project Latest: Cool zines we’ve stumbled across!
- Zine Archive Project Orientation Tuesday September 13 6pm
- Long Haul Zine Archive Catalog- check out what we’ve been working on
- Cool zines in the archive 3, Plus exciting news about working towards an online catalog!
Location / Hours
3124 Shattuck Ave. Berkeley CA. 94705
tele - (510) 540-0751 Map
Tuesday & Wednesday 6~9
Saturday & Sunday 3~9